The Occupational Therapy and Driver Assessment Group is able to provide services for people who are compensated by WorkCover, the Transport Accident Commission, the Department of Veteran's Affairs, recipients of Care Packages and self funding clients.
The Occupational Therapy and Driver Assessment Group provides the following services in all areas of metropolitan Melbourne, the Mornington Peninsula and Geelong:
- Occupational Therapy Driver Assessment and Rehabilitation
Specially trained Occupational Therapists can assist people who want to return to safe driving following an illness or an injury. It is a two step process that involves an off road assessment and an on road assessment occurring over two separate days. The on road assessment occurs in a dual controlled car with a specialist driving instructor.
- Home Assessments and Activities of Daily Living Assessments
Occupational Therapists assess a person's home environment. Potential issues (i.e. falls risks) are noted and recommendations made. Eg: installation of rails, provision of adaptive equipment, major bathroom modifications and ramp or step modification, provision of personal alarms etc. The Occupational Therapy and Driver Assessment Group has access to registered builders for all modifications.
- Home Help Assessments
Occupational Therapists are able to assess a person's capacity to complete domestic and gardening tasks. They are also able to arrange assistance when required.
- Pain Management
The Occupational Therapists in the Occupational Therapy and Driver Assessment Group have experience in utilising a variety of techniques to deal with chronic conditions such as Arthritis, Low Back Pain, Shoulder Pain and Fibromyalgia
- Workplace Rehabilitation
The Occupational Therapy and Driver Assessment Group has expertise in workplace injury management:
- Early Intervention Services - Occupational Therapists can complete a thorough assessment of the worker and the workplace and make recommendations to maximise the worker's capacity and assist them to remain at work.
- Injury Management Consulting - Occupational Therapists are able to assist employers to develop injury management policies and procedures. The Occupational Therapists in the Occupational Therapy and Driver Assessment Group have expertise in coaching employers about developing suitable return to work plans, communicating with health practitioners and effectively managing psychosocial issues.
- Training Services - Occupational Therapists are able to tailor training packages to employer needs. The Occupational Therapy and Driver Assessment Group is able to train in:
- Backcare and Manual Handling
- Workstation Set Up
- Hand Therapy
Hand Therapy is a service offered by the Occupational Therapy and Driver Assessment Group. Hand Therapy services include:
- Hand Assessment including range of motion assessment, evaluation of muscle strength and assessment of sensory and nerve recovery
- Custom made thermoplastic splints
- Oedema and scar management
- Sensory re-education and desensitisation
- Exercise and activity prescription
- Pain Control
Fees are available upon request.